Friday, June 17, 2011

Baby U's Baby Quilt

My dear friend Kristin and her husband Jeff are expecting there first baby at the end of this month. I wasn't able to attend her baby shower because it was the same day as my MIL's party. We just got together outside of a few parties since the baby shower, so it was a double date with our husbands to a great  authentic Mexican restaurant. But before we left our house I gave Kristin her gift, this quilt and a little something else.

It was fun making this rag quilt, I haven't made one in a while and I forgot how much they shrink up!! Jeff & Kristin don't know what the sex of the baby is so I went with what I thought were neutral baby colors!

What you need:
Two different shades of fabric.
I used a baby flannel moon/stars combo in yellow and baby blue and then I used yellow and blue polka dots flannel for the opposite side.
Thread to match
and batting.

I used left over batting from another project, I always have left overs! But I got 1 yard of each fabric, next time I make a kid size, I will get 1 1/2 or 2 yards. I cut the squares into 4 inches. I have a handy dandy guide that makes it simple. I also stack the fabric, meaning I have two and three layers to cut through at once.

You have to layer the three pieces, polka dots, batting, stars/moon and continue to do so with all of the squares. Next up, you have to sew and X down the middle, so I do one diagonal line, then do the other side. I use chain sewing, which means you keep feeding the machine, don't stop until your machine messes up! Then you clip in between, it helps prevent re-threading and it also allows more control and less stopping and starting.


Laying out the rows, it was 8x10: Chain link sewing: all together now: ready to be ragged


Ragging a quilt, it simple, you make tiny quick cuts with special scissors. Then you put it in the washer and dryer.  It is time consuming when it is a larger quilt, the baby size went really quick.


Left: Backside Right: The frontside all "ragged"

Kristin & Jeff really enjoyed the quilt. I really do love making quilts for people! It is a great hobby to have. Although, I must disclose, my husband is still waiting on his, and I still owe baby Paige her quilt!! I know!!! Brian isn't going anywhere and well Paige's I go on the bad aunt list! I had a lot going on prior to Paige's birth, you know like a wedding. I'm not sure what my excuse is to finish up her quilt now!! After vacation I guess!!

1 comment:

  1. Wait...didn't we lay out the pattern for Paige's quilt months ago? You better get busy! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...