Sunday, October 16, 2011

Paige's 1st Birthday Quilt

Paige is our 6th niece, her sister Taylor (almost 6 y/o) is our 1st niece. I have been sewing since my senior year of high school.  I decided once I became an unofficial part of the B family I would make a quilt for each of the little kids. So Taylor's quilt was finished shortly before she was born. Ever since then I have been slacking on completing quilts prior to their birth!! So why not give a quilt for Paige's birthday!! Below is the girlie color printed fabric that I chose for Paige :) I adopted the pattern from a full size bed quilt to make it a baby size quilt.
Just shy of 36 inches. I always lay out before sewing.
 After I started to sew all of the squares together using the chain gang method. I actually completed this in about 6 hours give or take on a Sunday afternoon. (Brian was at the Nascar race with my Dad)
Black border
 I decided to go bold, take and take a chance! I used a black flower fabric to border the pink colored fabric.
The back of the quilt.
The nice thing about sewing for many years is that I have developed quite a bit of "left over" fabric. Sometimes it is on sale so I will buy extra of the pattern. Or maybe it is a scrap at the store. Or even I bought too much! So I was lucky to find this pretty pattern in my "left over" pile. It was the perfect amount. I really like this because it almost feels like it is two different quilts!
All finished
 I really think that the teal, black, and pink combo was a good choice. I think it is a good variety of colors. The black in a weird way makes the other colors pop. The teal is what they call binding. The teal binding is what holds the three lays of the quilt together.
Can't wait to give it to Paige! She will enjoy it for years to come.
To give you a better idea of the size of the quilt ( I don't recall the exact measurements) it is laying on a tile top kitchen table that I use as my craft/sewing/computer table.
I used a fabric pen to write on here!
I hope that all the little kids admire the quilts that I made for  them for the years to come. Now if I only used my time more wisely to fit sewing into my crazy, busy everyday life!! Next up getting a quilt finished for Abby before her first birthday!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...