My journey to sign up for the Wild Half 8k event came about while I was driving in the car with Lauren on our way home from Northern Virginia from Annie's baby shower. She encouraged me that I could do it. I also spoke to Brian and a few others and with some more encouragement I figured if I could run 4 miles I could do the 4.97 miles. Brian said I'm in my best shape and I could do it! So I signed up and later on in the week we decided we would wear matching shirts!
8k runners (4.97)
Meg
Staci
Me
Half Marathon runners (13.1)
Colby
Sean
Caitlyn
Lauren
Dave
Devon
The night before it was pouring...thunder...lightening... loud enough to wake me up! I normally can sleep through anything. That sure didn't happen. We actually thought it might be canceled from the weather! Needless to say God was good. The sun slowly made its appearance and we were able to run without interruption. I actually wore a hat for the first time running because I didn't bring my sunglasses. I figure I'd wear a hat to keep the rain out of my eyes. But really it kept the sun out and the sweat.
![]() |
| ~Bright and Early~ |
The half marathon went first starting at 7:30 and the 8k started at 7:45. We started off together, Meg, Staci and I soon fell a little behind and I was ok with that. I wanted to keep my own pace. Running down the boardwalk wasn't so bad. I was getting into my groove and all of a sudden we hit the end and had to turn around in--- an ankle deep large water puddle from the rain the night before. I wasn't too happy but I survived. I actually forgot that my feet were wet at times. I guess I could never do a mud run. I was using Pandora to keep me going and Mapmyrun. I kept 12:30 minute miles so I was great hearing the voice come over and tell me what I did at each mile I hit. I also had my watch on my wrist that I started to look at around 42 and 52 minutes I kept telling myself I'm almost done. The best part of the race was when we were headed back through the start line and I could see & hear that Staci & Meg just went by the overhead PA announcer said "Go Staci! Go Meg! They have their names on there shirts for a reason!" then I came trailing behind and she said, " Way to go run your own pace Steph." That made me smile! The worst part was running without anyone near me along Wildwood Crest and all the hotels. Not many spectators and I was starting to get tired. But then I heard and saw people doing Zumba that gave me some energy and I saw Timmy and Madison. Seeing a familiar face helped. Then it was on the homestretch...SAND!! Thank goodness it was WET! I wouldn't have been able to finish as well if it was dry. I think my legs would have been JELLO.
![]() |
| ~I'm almost there & finished~ |
| ~Staci & Meg after the race~ |
![]() |
| ~almost finished Laur & Sean~ |
![]() |
| ~Colb & Cait~ |
| Madison & Gavin playing |
| Colb, Cait, Me, Meg, Laur, Stac, Sean |
![]() |
| 1st time riding the tram car! |






No comments:
Post a Comment