Monday, December 17, 2012

I think it is really funny

(I wrote this before the Connecticut Shooting but hadn't posted it)

I think it is really funny on Facebook to see what people "Like" and comment on.

Let me explain. I was in Orlando for work and figured I'd update my social media favorites-- instagram and Facebook. This blogpost will focus on Facebook.*

The first day I posted this photo and within a short amount of time I had 33 likes and 11 comments:
The caption read:
Here for a couple of days for a conference for SHC.
The tree in the lobby is made of poinsettia plants.
The second day I posted another photo and I had no likes and no comments.
The caption read:
EndDD.org listening to a lecture
about driving distracted #steelconference #disney

The third day I posted yet another photo and I had 15 likes and  2 comments.
The caption read:
Got to see part of the parade on my
 #disneyunderground/disabilitiestour #steelconference

The moral of this post is-- I think it is hilarious that when you talk about something serious no one has anything to say. Again, I could be totally off with my data, I can't see how many people have "viewed" my facebook post as I can see how many people have viewed my blog. Maybe the second photo didn't pop up in my family and friends news feeds or instagram feeds. So I could totally be wrong and maybe this is the first time you are viewing the photo from the second day.

No one wants to talk about or admit that they read text messages, send text messages, go on facebook all while driving. Or what about changing the GPS directions? I'm guilty of all of the above-- I'm not saying I have never done it. . Oh and of course I talk on the phone every day while I drive home. I have a 45 minute commute. But in the last few months since I heard Joel Feldman** speak. (The first time he came to my work in the summer, I heard him for the second time on Thursday night when I posted the photo) I truly have asked myself is it worth it. Is it worth responding and potentially taking away my life or somebody else. I want to have a baby, I want to be able to walk for the rest of my life. I  do not want some one's family or friend to not be endangered because of my need to see how has like my facebook post, or send a text to a friend because it is easier than picking up the phone. We are all important and it is just not worth it. I encourage you to look at enddd.org I think it is important to ask yourself is it worth it?

As I was with my friends from work. I made this comment to them after the posting of the second photo. The next night at dinner I told those same people that I had so many likes and comments from the third photo. They didn't believe me and they too thought it was funny and ironic.

* Note: The second photo on Instagram did not have any likes or comments.
** Joel's daughter was killed by a distracted driver in Ocean City, NJ.
________________
Disclaimer: I do work for an organization that deals with sever injuries such as spinal cord injuries (paralysis) and other orthopedic conditions and injuries. I realize that I interact on a daily basis with children that most people will never get to know in their life. But those children love the same things that my nieces, nephews and friends kids love. My family and friends are so lucky.  I do know how lucky I am to have the use and control of my body even for the most simple things-- using the bathroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...