Sunday, April 7, 2013

Sunday dinner

Sunday we normally try to make something that we don't have time to make during the work week. Usually we're home and able to make things that take a lot of prep and time to make/cook. A few weeks ago we were given a used smoker. A friend of a friend was getting rid of it. (someone's trash is someone else's treasure right?) As you might recall Brian tried to make a smoker. That never came to fruition. I think that might have been better for all of us! This smoker was used but in good condition. A couple of weeks ago Brian made ribs and they were great. 

What a great day it was to be outside smoking our dinner. Needless to say I left the outside smoking to the boys while I cleaned the inside of the house, paid bills, did laundry. I also prepped lunches for the week and made twice baked potatoes for the side. Darren later on made green beans too!

Sous Chef Darren

Adding a little water to the side 
So what the heck did we smoke?? Cornish hens with bacon on top. We defrosted them earlier this week and put them in a brine bath. Brian reads lots of cooking sites/blogs and they suggested adding bacon on top. I'm not sure how many calories this sucker was but heck... it is Sunday dinner!


The man of the smoker...Brian said this is the best day. A day spent outside enjoying a cold beer and smoking food. I'm sure he enjoyed being outside in the nice fresh air too!

that fire is "cooking"

ready to be taken off the smoker and taken inside
Well four hours later plus 20 minutes resting before we could eat these bad boys! 


Sheesh it was worth every bite! I would say it tasted like regular old chicken. It was really tender and moist. I was very pleased and so was my husband. He takes such pride in his food that he makes for us. The bacon was out of this world too! We all weren't sure how much meat was actually on the Cornish hen, we each ate about half of a hen. I tore the rest of the meat off the body for us to add to our salads this week. We agreed we'd make them again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...