10 years ago I was sitting in Mr. Ambro's History class in my sophomore year when Mr. Moody ran into our class room tell us to turn the TV on. That the twin towers in NYC were just hit. It was 8:50 or so by time the TV's were turned on. Every class that day we just watched the TV and couldn't believe what our eyes were watching. We did have an assembly at one point. I know I remember thinking that Philadelphia was going to be hit. We lived right in between NYC and DC. It just seemed like we were going to be next. Later on that day, we had field hockey practice, normally we would see hundreds of airplanes fly over us for the next couple of days, it was strange to not see that. Living so close to the airport and being used to airplanes was a little strange. It was an emotional day. It was a sad day.
This morning as I watched the different specials on TV remembering those that were lost and honoring those that made it out alive. It was an emotional morning. I mean those people's families didn't think that they would leave and never come back home. I think that there are parallels in my family. My mom didn't think her first husband Tony, my biological father wouldn't come home that day. I mean what person thinks that? I too like so many of those babies and children of parents that died on 9/11/01 will never know their biological parent. I am very lucky that my mom moved forward in her life and found my Dad, the only man that I will ever know to be my Dad. Like those little kids that are now ten years older, I will only know him by stories as they will only know their loved ones through stories past down to them. I mean this is true with anyone that has lost someone, but it just made me think today.
I think that it is nuts that I have lived through something that is now in the history books. Something that happened 10 years ago is now forever a part of history. I think it is something that when I was in school we learned about the Constitution,Pearl Harbor, Black History and now these students in school are learning about people that hijacked airplanes and killed thousands of people.
One day, I hope to go to see the beautiful new 9/11 memorial that they have built in the former grounds of those buildings. I guess it hits home because we live so close, I went to college with friends that it hit even closer to, and family friends that live near by and even walked out of the stairs that day.
It sure is a day we will never forget.

No comments:
Post a Comment