Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Homemade Iced Coffee




Last summer I read about Pioneer Women making Iced Coffee, I thought it was way too much to drink so I never made it.  This year when I read that Dainty Chef took on making Iced Coffee and used her recipe. I thought I have to give this a try! Well boy was I missing out for the last year since I learned about this!!

I went to Wal-Mart and bought the stuff to make it. 

The initial investment was:
$5.97 for the two galloon jug
$7.97 for the dispenser jug for the fridge
$4.97 for the cheese cloth
$5.99 for Sam's Choice coffee (12 oz)
$5.99 for Sam's Choice coffee (12 oz) 
$30.89 total to get started.

I figured that I will break even eventually since I can reuse those container for years to come or until they get gross. The cheese cloth has a lot that comes in the package. As for the coffee, that will be the pricey part! I didn't have any coupons so I bought Wal-Mart brand coffee. I made the original recipe from PW & DC the first time about two weeks ago. I feel in love. It was a m a z i n g!! I even used coffee iced cubes. (Froze the iced coffee in the trays) But by the second week it started to taste bad. It was a little stronger as the time went on. I am the only one that drinks iced coffee, so if Brian would have drank some I think it wouldn't have gone bad quickly. The recipe says it stays fresh for two weeks but I didn't think so. 

The second attempt of making it I decided that I would only do one gallon instead of two gallons as the  recipe calls for. I'm hoping that this works out better so I don't waste some of the coffee. I would say I spilled out about 1 1/2 quarts on the last batch. I did buy more coffee because we didn't label the coffee last time we emptied it into tupperware containers. I wanted to make sure it was coffee I liked and not Brian's dark roast. 

See my photo block below-- I of course couldn't do this by myself--Brian helps me strain the coffee. Teamwork. That is even his hand with the ladle!! I do layer a few layers of cheesecloth. It really catches all the extra that seems to pass through. 

I highly recommend it! I mean this is more economical from buying iced k cups! Enjoy!!


~second time making it~



My new favorite website to play with my photos : http://www.picmonkey.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...