Friday, March 7, 2014

Updated Pinterest Pins Part 2

Well I haven't updated about my pins lately. I do love looking at Pinstrosity and other sites like this or Pinterest Fail . Pinterest can eat up a whole afternoon or evening for me usually on the iPad, iPhone or macbook pro. I really enjoy trying pins. I hate when they just don't turn out the way the photos or recipe call for!

Let me start out by telling you about some of my food pins:
* I wish I had photos of all of my food pins, but I'm not always on it with snapping the photos lately!

Corn Dogs-
Oh how I love a tasty corn dog. When I was younger whenever we went to the mall food court I would get the corn dog nuggets and a root beer. They were the best. Or my mom would buy the box of corn dogs from the food store. As I have aged, I have become a snob to hot dogs! I really only prefer all beef such as Nathan's or Hebrew Nationals. So I used the Hebrew pack to make this recipe. Brian helped me! I don't fry things. I suck at it, they always taste like straight up oil. I read the reviews of the recipe, made sure I followed tips,  wipe dry, add cornstarch etc. Well I think we needed a deeper, not as wide pan to fry them. The photos don't do them justice. They tasted great but the breading did start to fall off!!





Deep Dish Pizza -
We rarely order out pizza. It is so costly. We make our pizza at home, we have been on a hunt to find the perfect crust to use. Most of the time we go for a good old standard pizza dough recipe. However Brian really wanted to conquer the deep dish. We tried the standard pizza dough in the deep dish pan, but let's be honest it was regular pizza not as thick and crusty. Oh Pinterest you can help me find a good recipe. We gave this one a whirl, even homemade pizza sauce. The crust didn't puff up, it was rather crispy, but that was ok. It definitely wasn't an oily deep dish pizza. The recipe called for cornmeal in the dough, I think that is what gave it a crispy cracker taste. I never would have thought to cook the pepperoni before hand but man that was a great idea, lots of oil came out and the pizza wasn't oily at all. The fresh mozzarella cheese was great, plus some shredded cheese and the homemade pizza sauce. Yummy!! We did "doctor" up the pizza sauce a little -- it needed more seasonings and some brown sugar to make it sweeter. Plus I pureed it, Brian doesn't like chunky tomatoes. We used the 3/4 of the dough ball and the other 1/4 was made into bread sticks! It was a hit. We'd make again but this won't be our "go to" regular pizza dough.



Wendy's Copy Cat Chili
I have never had Wendy's Chili. Brian works across the street, so he gets it all the time. I was excited to try this pin out. I don't know why I waited so long! It was really good! It had wonderful flavor. I couldn't find the ranch style beans. So trusty google led me to the fact they are basically seasoned beans, with a taco or chili sauce. I will have to look more into where I can purchase or order them from Amazon or something. But I improvised. I didn't have the chili seasoning packet -- so I made that with my own spices. It worked out well. I would never have thought to add celery to the pot either! We had a huge pot of it for a couple of lunches and dinners. I even froze two quart sized bags with the leftovers.



Hash Brown Waffles
Well this needed to be submitted to one of the failure sites! Directions are made for a reason! I used the frozen shredded hash browns, not home made shredded potatoes. I think that was the mistake. This was a disaster. They never crisped up. They stuck to the iron, even though I sprayed it liberally. They were in the iron for a long time, I think the frying pan would have cooked them faster and crispier. I might try it one more time with real freshly grated potatoes! The funniest part of this, I had to flip the entire iron upside down to try to salvage some of the hash browns. What a let down! I'll give it one more try though.

Cinnamon Bread Pudding with Rum Sauce
OHMMMYYYGOSHHH. This was amazing. I called it Cinnamon bread casserole to the guys, I didn't think they would like to hear bread pudding. It was so good without the rum sauce. I didn't have the ingredients on hand. The whole point of making this was because my MIL gave me a bunch of hoagie rolls after a weekend in the Pocono's. Brian hates when bread is frozen and then reheated or thawed. So I figured let me make something with all of them before they went bad. It was worth every single calorie. The crumble topping was so good too. I am weak for crumbs on top of any dessert treat. We ate it as a dessert. I even had some vanilla ice cream with it one night. I of course always ate it warmed up! Totally a hit even without the sauce. I can't imagine how much richer it would have been!

One Bowl Chocolate Cake
I have made this twice. Each time I savor the bites! It is amazing. So good and so easy! I made this for my co-workers birthday and my step dad's. It is the perfect 9x13 cake. I even used the icing recipe that she recommends. That was simple and didn't call for 8 cups of confectioners sugar like other homemade icing. The cake itself is very moist. I really enjoy when I can make things at home versus using a boxed item. Not that I don't, but when I can make it homemade I chose to do so!

More pin updates to come in the future! I hope you enjoyed reading this! Have you had any pin fails or successes?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...