Thursday, December 22, 2011

Winter-- It is that time of year again...

Yes, today is the first day of winter, but it also marks the time of year that I see less of my husband! Hehe! I see less of him because he is off to "make ice" on the outdoor ice rink. Brian and his friends have made an ice rink for the last two winters, this will be its third year. Fortunately, we have friends that have large yards. Our yard is not large enough to host the "rink." The first year it was at Timmy's house, last year it was at Joel's dad's house and it is there again this year. They start out by laying the tarp down and plywood, attempt to smooth out the surface and start "flooding" the rink with water. This year they have grand plans! The hardest part is making the ice even, and hoping for cold enough temps. Yesterday on Wordless Wednesday you got a sneak peak. But here is some more insight on what goes on with the back yard ice rink.


Here are the photos to help you understand better:


2010
The rink 2010


The set up to keep the rink in tact
I used my PR skills and Fox 29 came out!


Re-icing the rink!



2011

Believe it or not snow doesn't help the ice!

Stopping to smile :)


Making more ice so it will freeze overnight

Men at work!
2012

This year they are using the farm field!


The tarp they use for the water surface.


They aren't messing around!
Stay tuned to see and hear more about the "2012 Homemade Ice Rink"

I do have to say that I am glad that my husband and our friends enjoy getting outside in the cold air for so good ole fashion fun. They all love to do this, even in the bitter, cold weather. I have ice skates and have been out on it a couple of times, myself in the years past. Good luck guys on getting this ice rink ready to go for this winter. Let's hope that mother nature cooperates for optimum ice making!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...